Saving Codestation

Sunday, August 19, 2007 / by

I've been hearing about IBM's Codestation game, Sentinel 2.0, for a while now but hadn't visited the location until yesterday. For those of you who haven't got a clue what I'm talking about, here's a little explanation from the game FAQ note:

This is a puzzle-based adventure game that will test your coding and building skills while working your brain. IBM CODESTATION has been overtaken by a foul, pink beast named Double-Bad Bugra. Your object is to rebuild SENTINEL, the defender of CODESTATION, and defeat Double-Bad Bugra. If you succeed, you will be rewarded with a car designed especially for the challenge by The Electric Sheep Company.

Basically the idea is that there are four parts of Sentinel (arms, body, legs and head) hidden in different locations around SL. Your job is to find them, rebuild Sentinel and participate in the final challenge on September 19. To find the parts you use black boxes released every two weeks at IBM Codestation (you need to figure out yourself how these work).

So far there have been two black boxes released and I must say I'm a little disapointed. I was hoping for some difficult riddles, that take time to solve. But the parts are actually very easy to find and there's not much guessing involved. There are still two more boxes to come though, so I'm hoping for some difficulty increase :)

Nevertheless, the whole idea is very creative and promotes the Codestation in a humorous way (devastating pony-tails, lol!). The Codestation itself is a nice contribution for SL community too, offering open-source scripts and objects. All in all, I like the project and I'm looking forward to see what's coming next.

Speaking about the game, I need to mention the sim where the second stage takes place - it's the most beautiful sim I've ever seen in SL so far. It's a stunning woodland area filled with trees, foliage, slopes, waters, bridges and light beams. Here's a photo I made there... Yes, it's a paradise for photographers:

Straylight

Definitely worth seeing. Care to go for a walk?

You May Also Like

0 comments